Upper Handrail Extension
The upper stairway
handrail shall extend 12 inches beyond the last upper riser of the
stairway. This particular building code is for the top level of the
stairway handrail system.
Exemptions: Private stairways do not require handrail extensions. Handrails may have their starting point from a volute or newel within the first tread. However, these building codes are interpreted by different building departments, so check with your local building department, for more information.
Attention: Don't forget to check with your local building department to verify any building codes on this website. This information could be incorrect or outdated.
- One Handrail Entry Stairs
- Gripable Handrail
- Continuous Stairway Handrailing
- Lower Handrail Extension
- Gripable Handrail Size
- Gripable Handrail Height
- Gripable Stair Banisters
- Stairways Requiring Only One Hand Rail
- Stairways Requiring Hand Rail on Each Side
- Three or More Handrails for Wide Stairways
- Maximum Handrail Projection
Back To Stairway Building Codes