Cork Stair Treads
Cork stair treads aren't as popular as bamboo or wood, but we could see a change in the future. It's not uncommon for a building product to take a few years, before it starts to work its way into other people's homes. Like most products, I'm not going to highly recommend Cork stair treads, until they've been around a little while.
Pros For Using Cork Stair Treads
1. They provide building owners with a different type of stair tread
material. If you're not happy with wood, carpeting, tile or metal, cork
could be the answer to all of your problems.
2. It's relatively easy to cut and install.
3. Cork can also be finished with a water based polyurethane finish.
4. Cork can be cleaned with a vacuum cleaner for with a damp cloth. Try to avoid using a mop or wet towels.
5. Cork can usually be refinished, simply by applying another layer of water based polyurethane finish. Just make sure that the surface of the stair treads and risers are clean.
Cons For Using Cork Stair Treads1. Since cork isn't the most popular way to finish your stair treads, I really don't have enough information, whether it is or isn't a product that's going to last for a long time, with minimal damage.
There are plenty of products that have been tested over the years, like wood, metal and carpeting. This isn't a product that I would take a chance on, until I gathered more information and I suggest that you do the same.
2. You will need to install a special stair nosing, because regular cork flooring, could easily get damaged. Cork is a soft product until it's finished with the proper materials.
3. If your cork stair treads are finished with anything that will make the surface smooth, it could become a safety hazard. Smooth stairs are slippery, wet stairs are even more slippery. Really, really, really wet stairs, are really slippery:)
4. Large dogs and even cats can damage cork floors. Cats will often use the stair risers to sharpen their claws, while large dogs dig their claws into the cork while running up or down a stairway, especially when they're in a hurry.